Even the years that I refused to make resolutions, I always managed to say "but I also want to travel more". I was bitten with the travel bug when I was young, and I'm really not that interested in finding a cure if I'm being perfectly honest.
For the first time
in a very long time ever, I didn't step foot on a plane last year. Not once during 2012 did I check in online, rush to an airport, sit sleep through the safety demonstration, or otherwise partake in airport shenanigans. This makes me sad. Very sad, actually, if I think about it for too long. So instead of thinking about it, I'm going to plan.
The only place that I know that I'm going to visit for sure in 2013 is Montreal (which is wonderful, because I love that city very nearly as much as I love Paris). While I love the city, and it will be beautiful in May, I also am itching to go somewhere new.
Here is a (very short, not nearly complete) list of things that I'd like to do in 2013 that require traveling:
- Drink beer on a beach.
- Watch the sun rise (or set) from an airplane.
- Bask in the satisfying feeling of consuming my first Tim Horton's coffee upon arrival in Canada.
- Have an airline hostess either a) wake me up for the safety demo or b) tell me that I have to turn my e-reader off for takeoff (DOESN'T ANYONE ELSE FIND THIS JUST A LITTLE BIT RIDICULOUS?!?!).
- Pack at the last minute and forget something that seems absolutely essential at the time of remembrance but turns out to be something that I wouldn't have used anyways.
- Earn another stamp for my passport.
- Run out of space on my 10GB memory card (from one trip).
- Spend time entirely outside of my own comfort zone "just for the experience".
- Go an entire week without checking emails, texts, voicemails, Facebook, Twitter or uploading a photo to Instagram.
- Step foot on French soil.
What are your travel goals for 2013?