The First Weekly Wrap-Up
Starting a new job is nerve-wracking. You don't know anyone, you don't know what you're doing, and you feel like you're failing before you even have a chance to do your job.
I've learned a lot this week. I'm going to pretend that y'all just asked enthusiastically "WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED, ASHLEY??" so that I can respond with a shouted "HOW VERY THOUGHTFUL OF YOU TO ASK, LET ME TELL YOU WHAT I'VE LEARNED THIS WEEK!"
- Having an expensive post-secondary education does not mean that you're qualified to operate a paper cutter.
- Don't walk out of your door in the morning wearing flip-flops. When you assume that you have business-appropriate shoes at your desk you just make an ass out of yourself. Because you don't have shoes under your desk. That was at your old job, dummy.
- Companies don't have magical office supply closets containing your preferred brand of pens and highlighters. So if you really, really need them like right now, bring your own.
- There is, however, a magical room where there is pretty much an unlimited supply of Dr. Pepper. Rock on, wonderful employer.
- Wear tights with your skirts. If you don't, people will look at you like you forgot your pants at home. I actually checked a few times to make sure that I had bottoms on, because gosh people were scandalized.
- Take your name tag off before leaving work, unless you want the clerk at the liquor store to spend the next twenty minutes attempting to pronounce your last name.
- Having your lunch catered by the on-site restaurant is amazing, but don't eat so much that you spend all afternoon in pain and/or wanting to find an inconspicuous place to nap.
- Patience is not just a virtue, it's an absolute necessity.
- The people that you work with, that seemed so scary at first? Are actually kind of awesome.
Although I'm a big fan of my own work, I also enjoy what other people write. What were my favourite reads this week?
- Pretty much everything that the Snark Squad posts. I can't even describe the awesome that these girls produce, y'all have to experience it for yourself.
- IFB's take on how bloggers can benefit from criticism, because we all get it and it sucks.
- Lorraine's saga of attempting to share a bed with a preschooler had me in stitches, because Lordy have I been there.
- Jessica's sweet-but-honest post about who she really is
I'm planning on spending my weekend baking cookies and enjoying the beautiful weather with my little girl.
What are your plans for the weekend?